Tuesday, July 12, 2016

Alaska's Harbor Seal skin jewelry



Most People have a thing called a "Bucket list" if you don't know what it is google should become your Best friend , One item on mine was to learn to make Alaskan Native crafts.  I went and tried beading with small beads, I didn't take to it very well.  So, I asked some Fellow sewers to no avail.  Apparently they have to accept you before they let you in on their secret sewing society, (I'm totally kidding in a positive way that this is why they couldn't help me.)   Any how I started practicing and I started to remember how to tack beads down and this is where it started leading me:
  

What you see there is a piece of a Seal skin that I shot (yes you read that right) I shot in the Prince William Sound out of Whittier, Alaska, using a .223 Winchester which I received as a gift.  Some gift, I know right? where are the diamonds and roses? none the less it has led me to create the beautiful piece you see below. I ordered metal bangle bracelets and the pearls at fire mountain gems for a great price.  I took a piece of paper and outlined the outside of the adjustable bracelet and used that as a pattern to carefully cut out pieces of the seal skin.  I wasn't sure which way to face the fur as you can see I chose horizontal.  I also used some dyed deer skin from the local fur store to have something to tack the pearls too. It took me about 2 hours to sew this with some dental floss like string, the out come was so pretty that I'm trying not to hoard every bracelet I make, as you know these things cost money. Still, I have a couple of these in my closet. 


The one thing I enjoyed most about this little project, is that even though I haven't been taught how to make traditional Alaskan Native clothing and jewelry. Is that, I love how gorgeous this idea turned out!

No comments:

Post a Comment